OBDC Small Business Finance believes that our unique partnerships and staff expertise are critical components to connecting our borrowers to the funding, education, and relationships they need to thrive. This year continues to be full of exciting new partnerships and staff contributions:
- We’re thrilled to announce that OBDC was awarded three large grants from our partners at Wells Fargo, the Office of Community Services, and the Small Business Administration to support our programs. For more about the initiatives that this funding will support, please click here.
- Kathia Kacic brings our community another credit tip in her ongoing series about ways to improve a credit score.
- OBDC’s Advising Corner is brought to you by Karla de Leon, OBDC’s Lead Business Advisor, who recently joined our growing Business Advising team.
- We are expanding the ways in which we can partner with our clients and other local small business owners in our communities. Read on for more information about additional services and support available to you.
Finally, we’d like to extend our heartfelt thank you and best wishes to William Ong, who will be retiring on December 31, 2015. William Ong is an incredible financial leader and committed supporter of entrepreneurial development in the Bay Area. For the past eight years as Chief Financial Officer (CFO), William has played a central role in OBDC’s growth and transformation into one of the top SBA Community Advantage lenders in the country. His guidance and unwavering commitment to empowering entrepreneurs to transform their lives and communities is unparalleled.
We are indebted to his vision and commitment to propelling us to our present position in the CDFI industry. OBDC has named Scott Lewis to succeed William in the role of CFO. As an entrepreneur with more than 35 years of experience in the financial markets including extensive experience managing lending programs, Scott is uniquely qualified to assume William’s CFO responsibilities, and we are thrilled to recognize his outstanding leadership as Senior Vice President – Oakland Market Manager at OBDC for the last five years. Please join us in wishing William and his family all the best in his retirement and in welcoming Scott into his new role.
We wish you a happy holiday season and thank you for your partnership and support.
OBDC Expands Services
We are excited to share some additional services available to our clients, in an effort to continuously improve the ways in which we support you as you work to grow your businesses.
- Co-host an event at your business
- Your business profile on our website
- Your business highlighted on OBDC’s social media channels
- List your events on OBDC’s website
- Sharing events on Townsquared
Click here for more details about each of these opportunities and how to take advantage of them.
Make Sure the Minimum Wage Increase
Doesn’t Hurt Your Bottom Line
Earlier this year, Oakland saw a $3.25 increase in its minimum wage from $9 per hour to $12.25 per hour. While some business owners have been adjusting to this increase, it’s now time to prepare for another increase.
Starting January 1, 2016, the minimum wage in Oakland will go up $0.30 per hour to $12.55. As a business owner, this increase (or the previous one if you still haven’t quite adjusted) is a perfect time to take a look at your finances and make sure your business is cash flow positive.
Click here for the rest of Karla’s column about the upcoming minimum wage increases.
Get to Know Darius Mahajer,
Senior Vice President & San Francisco Market Manager
Darius brings over a decade of experience in various industries including textile importing, apparel manufacturing, small business consulting, and marketing. Darius holds an M.B.A from San Francisco State University and a B.A in Professional Sales from Coles College of Business at Kennesaw State University, Georgia. Click here for Darius’ bio.
“I have a very entrepreneurial spirit – it’s in the family. My mom has been operating a home health care business in San Diego for the past three years. She is on the path to success, and I was able to recommend some credible organizations who could help her during the early years of her business. The ability to work with an organization like OBDC that is tapped into such a great network of resources that helps small businesses is very gratifying. There are many reasons why a business may fail – at OBDC we aim to reduce that risk.”
Click here for Darius’ full interview.
Learn more about our Oakland, San Francisco, and Veteran Programs at
Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to be sure you never miss any important news!
Powering Dreams. Transforming Communities.
OBDC Small Business Finance
2101 Webster Street, Suite 1200, Oakland CA 94612
We’re excited to announce that OBDC has recently funded these incredible businesses!
- Uptown Juice Company
- Spice Monkey
- Professional Computer Support
- Emanuel Coffee
- Steel Rail
- Feelmore 510
- Oakland Crush
- Electric Bicycle Super Store
- Rhythm Bikes
- Cafe Santana
- The Refinery Grooming Club
Congratulations to our repeat borrowers – we’re thrilled to continue to support your business development.
Visit the websites of many OBDC-funded businesses by clicking here for our interactive map.
Overheard on Twitter
OBDC is growing!
We are thrilled to welcome the following staff to our team, supporting OBDC’s work with small businesses operating along the upcoming East Bay Bus Rapid Transit line in Oakland:
– Karla De Leon, Lead Business Advisor
– Daniel Francis, Community Development Marketing Intern
– Diane Lewis, Community Outreach Manager
– Spencer Hamilton, Business Advisor
– Vanessa Thanh Lam, Business Outreach Manager
– Victor Valerio, Community Development Marketing Intern
– Karolyn Wong, Business Outreach Manager
Click here to learn more about our team.
To learn more about our open positions, click here.
Grow Your Network
OBDC is proud to partner with Townsquared, a closed social networking site that connects neighborhood businesses to one another. Townsquared offers OBDC a platform to share news, business tips, and resources directly with our clients. Click here to join today for exclusive access to our workshop materials, upcoming opportunities for your business, and more content you’ll only find on Townsquared.
Expert Business Advising
At OBDC we are proud to continue our partnership with Pacific Community Ventures (PCV). PCV’s online advising program has a great new website and offers…
Click here to read more.
We’re grateful for the financial support provided by our bank partners this year:
- Bank of America
- Bank of the West
- Citi Foundation
- City National Bank
- Comerica Bank
- JPMorgan Chase Foundation
- Wells Fargo
For more about our supporters,click here.
Thanks for Attending OBDC’s NewCo Session!