In this newsletter:
- Veteran Launch Update
- Credit Tip
- Thank You To Our Funders
- Advising Corner: Hiring Employees
- Welcome To Our Newest Clients
Veteran Launch Update
As we enter into the end of the year, the Veteran Launch team is excited to share some accomplishments from this summer.
Advisory Board Updates
We are thrilled that Jim Wong has agreed to serve as Veteran Launch Advisory Board Chair. Jim brings significant startup, corporate, and philanthropic experience to his role, as well as the leadership skills he gained as a Marine Corps NCO and officer. Click here to read Jim’s full bio.
We have also welcomed some new advisory board members. Click here to see Veteran Launch’s full advisory board, and welcome to our newest board members:
- Stephanie Brown, Founder and CEO of The Rosie Network
- Claude Burns, CEO of Office Libations and Veteran Launch client
- Teresa Davies, Head of Department, Program Development & Implementation of DNV GL
- Christopher Starling, Operations Director of VetsinTech
Thank you to our advisory board for their leadership and support in growing Veteran Launch.
Veteran Launch Impact Updates
As of June 30, the end of our fiscal year, Veteran Launch has served 68 veteran-owned companies, providing them $9.3 million in loans. Of those companies, 54% are new businesses, 51% are minority-owned, 51% operate in low-to-moderate income neighborhoods, and 35% are women-owned. These businesses have created and sustained 600 jobs across California.
Main Street Launch Organizational Report
Main Street Launch’s FY18 Organizational Report is now available digitally (hard copies will be available later this fall). You can request copies by emailing email@example.com. This report features Veteran Launch clients Tytanium Ideas in Rocklin, Freedom Makers in Oakland, and Bootstrap Kombucha in San Diego. Click here to read or download the report.
Thank you for your continued support of veteran entrepreneurs and Veteran Launch. Please continue to refer businesses to us, share our one pager, and let us know about your upcoming events. We look forward to continuing to collaborate in service of military families.
Thank You To Our Funders
Our work is made possible by our partnerships, and our funders are an important part of the collaborative effort to support small businesses. A special thank you to:
- Bank of America for $100,000 grant and $1 million PRI in support of Veteran Launch
- GO-Biz for $147,600 grant supporting Veteran Launch
- JPMorgan Chase for a $333,333 grant that is part of a $1.2 million award granted in late 2017
- CDFI Fund for $1.5 million, in support of both Main Street Launch’s broader programs, as well as specific funding for Veteran Launch’s loan program
Advising Corner: Hiring Employees
Veteran Launch is a program of Main Street Launch. This post was written by Katie Taylor, Vice President – Marketing & Executive Projects at Main Street Launch.
As your business grows, it becomes impossible to do it all yourself. Hiring can be daunting, but having a simple plan and process can make it easier. In this post we share some of our best practices for hiring.
Welcome To Our Newest Clients